Thursday, August 7, 2008

James Michael Lawrence




I like how James manipulated his images to create these fantastic pieces of art. How did he do it? I wonder... This is how I think he was able to accomplish this look(using the last image as an example). Using a software package such as photoshop, I believe he probably took a photograph of bottles and maybe an image of his hand by using a copy machine. He then manipulated the color and look of the bottles by increasing the blue palette. Then he brought in the copy image of his hand enhanced it to a light blue and made it a layer behind the bottles. Then, he would have to put on a layer of green and then maybe use the eraser bring the hand image forward. And, before this gets too technical geeky boring, use a stamp to stamp on the flowers. What do you think? Any ideas? Please leave your thoughts. Images from mnartists.org

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How these images were created: I took a photo of the various drugs I take one or two times a day. Then I loaded it onto a computer - after which I cropped the background and filled the empty space with black. On top of that image I superimposed the resulting image over a photo of my partner's hand print on a frozen car window. The flowers were cut and pasted from another work. Then each layer was manipulated in various ways - before being flattened into the results you see in the first (more pink) image. The second one (more green) was created by simply reversing the coloration. It's all a matter of "playing" with a minimum of technical know-how. I think the results may reflect upon both my (illegal) drug use in my past - and my (legal) drug use in the now. Thanks for posting them! The other work is based on a wonderfully garish reclining chair that has been sitting in a bamboo grove in Kamakura, Japan for the last four years - during my annual visits. I've come to view it as a semi-permanent installation by an incognito artist with a great sense for the absurd contrast between it and its surroundings.

Tonia Arnold said...

Thank you James so much for sharing your techniques with us. I enjoy learning about how other artists create their works of art.